Thursday, June 10, 2010

The making of a Captain James Cook costume

Leave it to me, the ever procrastinator, to wait until the last minute to start working on anything. If I could change one thing about myself that would probably be it.

My 5th grader needs a costume for James Cook tomorrow, say what!!!! Yesterday, I started really looking. Yeah, last minute. I happened to find a pair of womens Dressbarn white capris. Last night, I doctored them up to fit my son. I sewed down the seam to make them tapered and smaller. I cut about 3 inches off the top of the pants and made an elastic waist. They aren't perfect but they will work. I had a few cards worth of gold buttons, so I attached 3 to each cuff. Next, I found an old Jones New York dress coat that's navy blue. BINGO. Going to doctor this up too. I bought thick white grosgrain ribbon and some gold ribbon to attach to it. When he gets home from school, I'll get to sewing it all up.

I ended up buying a white button down maternity shirt and cutting off the sleeves to use for the sleeve ruffle and the rest of it was sized down to make it look like a vest and gold buttons were added. I got the hat from my younger boys costume stash and the wig from one of the thrift shop cashiers that said she had one we could have.

This is the look we are going for


Here are the pants.....


Here's the jacket complete....


And lastly, my very own Captain James Cook!!! Isn't he handsome?



Costume cost a whopping $8 to make
*capris- $3
*shirt- $1
*ribbon- $4
*everything else, I already had on hand or was free :)

1 comment: